Professional certification sets a standard for skills, knowledge, and performance across the industry. STC’s Certified Professional Technical Communicator (CPTC) program can help you validate your skills and knowledge, differentiate you from others in the hiring process, be a method of advancement, or allow you to command higher pay. The annual training ensures you stay current, learn new skills, network, and stay engaged in the field. Why do employers look for professional certification in their current and potential hires?
- Professional certification provides a hiring baseline.
- Employers want their hires to stay current and continue to grow in the profession.
- Employers can use achievement of professional certification as a requirement for advancement or pay increases.
- Certified professionals with proven knowledge and competency contribute more to an organization.
- Certified professionals provide evidence that an organization’s technical communication team is more qualified than that of its competitors.
- Knowledgeable workers result in better communications.
The CPTC is a rigorous three-tiered certification program, and many successful certificants have taken training from a CPTC Accredited Trainer. The first tier is the Foundation Certification, where you must pass the exam. Once you have passed, you qualify to apply for the second tier (Practitioner Certification) and the third tier (Expert Certification). Here is what you need to know about the exam:
- The test is 50 questions, closed book.
- Test takers will have 40 minutes to complete the test under a proctor.
- STC is working with a U.K.-based firm, APMG International, that specializes in professional certification administration, following ISO 9001 standards.
- The textbook you will require: Richard Johnson-Sheehan’s Technical Communication Today, Fifth Edition (ISBN-10: 0134419391)
- Upon passing the exam, you will be issued a certificate and entered into the STC certification database. Your name will also appear on the STC and APMG websites.
We had the opportunity to join accredited trainer Beth Agnew on September 30th and October 1st for a CPTC Foundation exam prep class at Seneca College.
Chris Hester and Alan Houser taught the exam prep class online on October 12th and 13th. Exam prep courses focuses on the nine core skills of technical communication, topics in the exam, the exam format, and sample exam questions.
Below are upcoming training courses offered by our accredited trainers. All courses include an opportunity to take the exam at the end of the course.
November 7-8, 2017
November 13-14, 2017
Toronto, Canada: CPTC Foundation Exam Prep Class with trainer Alan Houser.
Visit STC – Certification for more information about the STC Certification program.